Expertise | 5 Reasons to Choose us
1. We Create Inspiring Designs
In this line of work, perspective is incredibly valuable. Our 20 years’ experience working in all phases of creating buildings means we anticipate hurdles and deliver smarter designs early on.
2. We’re Pioneers at Heart
We are a company of many firsts, including the first commercial installations of CLT in Ontario, and the introduction of new products and technologies to our projects – many of them firsts in Canada and developed, in part, by our team. What’s our secret? Our long term commitment to R&D, academia, and the development of new standards. This work elevates our creativity and the quality of our design, and ensures we deliver the very best in structural engineering methodology, and can tackle extremely complex designs.
3. Our Unparalleled Materials Expertise
For timber, glulam, CLT and steel, few firms in North America share our depth of expertise. Our principal David Moses has a PhD specialization in timber engineering and regularly speaks on the subject. Antonio Franco specializes in steel construction, heavy timber, glulam and CLT. He has taught university level structural analysis and design of steel structures, and worked as a managing detailing engineer at a structural steel fabrication company.
4. We’re Leaders in Multi-Unit Wood Frame Design
We may be small, but when it comes to designing with wood, our portfolio speaks for itself:
– Designer of the first prototype six-story wood frame buildings in Ontario;
– Over 80 projects built with pre-fabricated wood components to date—including some of Canada’s most complex wood structures;
– Plus, we’ve won several wood engineering awards.
5. We Love Complicated
We specialize in unconventional structures and complex designs. We also have a wide global network of subject matter experts to call upon in order to overcome unusual engineering and materials hurdles. Got a challenging design? Let’s talk!
- Residential (Custom & Multi-unit)
- Industrial, Commercial, Institutional (ICI) (Steel, Wood & Concrete)
- R&D for New Products
- New Construction, Retrofits & Renovations
- Feasibility Studies, Inspections & Assessments
- Third Party Review
- Timber, Glulam & CLT Specialty Design
- Unconventional Structures (Sculptures, Pergolas, Domes, Fabric, Submerged)
- Mid-Rise Buildings: 6wood.ca